How to Check IDs under and Over 21
The federal and state minimum age of sale of tobacco products is 21 years. It is illegal under federal law for a retailer to sell any tobacco product, including cigarettes, cigars and e-cigarettes, to anyone under 21.
It is recommended that you check the ID of any person who might be younger than 27 years old. The following information will go over valid forms of ID, age calculations, and minor versus adult ID orientations.
- Valid forms of ID include:
- Driver’s license
- Government-issued ID card
- ID must be current and not expired
- Photo should match the person presenting the ID
- Use the store’s ID scanner, when available
- Check the ID of any person who looks like they might be younger than 27 years old
- Look for scratches or unusual markings near the picture or date that suggest an altered ID
- If a false ID is presented, refuse the sale but do not try to keep the ID
Vertical IDs – ONLY Okay to Sell if Over 21
Horizontal IDs – Always Okay to Sell
Vertical IDs – Not Okay to Sale Until Age 21